A complete list of the most user-friendly GPS technology for the ultimate road trip
With advancements in global positioning system (GPS) technology, paper maps and atlases have become a relic of a simpler time. If you own an RV or motorhome, and love to travel to new and exciting destinations, then investing in a quality GPS system can make your life a whole lot easier.
You may be thinking: Why would I purchase a GPS system when I already have a smartphone?
These days just about all cellular devices are equipped with navigation capabilities. However, if you’re traveling in a larger motorhome or class A RV, GPS systems made specifically for recreational vehicles come with a few extra features that can really come in handy.
What GPS Devices Do That Smartphones Can’t
GPS devices made specifically for motor vehicle travel may cost more than simply using your smartphone, but the capabilities they offer can be well worth the money for some travelers. Some exclusive features many GPS devices can provide include:
- Notifications for when you’re approaching a steep or narrow road (this can save you a lot of time and trouble when driving a larger motorhome or RV)
- Campground amenity filters
- Voice command
- Backup cameras
- The ability to put in the size and weight of your vehicle (some GPS devices can even redirect you to roads better suited for your rig)
- Larger screens for enhanced visibility
- Distraction-free navigation (smartphones are constantly buzzing with calls, texts and other notifications which can be a dangerous distraction)
- The most “fuel efficient” route to your destination based on your vehicle’s size and weight
What to Consider When Shopping for RV GPS Systems
Purchasing a GPS system isn’t always cheap. However, like your motorhome, your navigation system is an investment in your leisure. Be honest and answer the following questions when shopping for a GPS system to ensure you purchase the best device:
- How often will I be driving to new and unexplored destinations? If you’re planning to use your motorhome or RV for frequent trips to the same location, you may not need to splurge on a high-end GPS. If, however, you love the idea of going to exciting new areas you’ve never been, a quality GPS system may be the ticket.
- Can I easily mount the device? Consider the dash of your RV or motorhome prior to purchasing a GPS system. Most devices will come with easy-to-mount capability.
- Which screen size works for me? One of the great things about purchasing an RV GPS system is having the ability to clearly see the map. GPS devices come in an assortment of screen sizes so select one that suits your sight needs.
- Is it user-friendly? All of us have different levels of experience with technology. Make sure to spend some time prior to purchasing a GPS making sure the device is something you will be able to easily and comfortably use. There’s no point in buying the most expensive system if it’s so advanced that you’ll never use it.
- Do you require Bluetooth capability? Many of the quality RV devices will come with Bluetooth capabilities. This allows you to easily connect your phone to the system.
- Does the GPS you’re considering have predictive text features? This sure comes in handy when you decide you want to take side trip at the last minute and the name of your destination is complicated.
Top Picks for RV GPS Systems
Are you convinced? If you’re thinking that GPS device might be a helpful tool to have for your next road trip, take a look at these top rated devices:
Top Garmin Devices
Price: From $399.99
Features: Large and bright display, allows users to enter camping dimensions for clearances, easy to use and set up, campground filters, smartphone link app for accessing traffic, basic weather, Bluetooth as well as customized driving directions.
Price: From $499.99
Features: 7” display monitor, easy to read, wireless backup camera, customized RV routing, America’s RV parks and service directory built in, voice commands, Bluetooth and smartphone link, lifetime map and traffic updates.
Top Magellan Devices
Price: From $349.95
Features: 7” display screen, allows you to customize the route as well as enter your RV size and features, easy to use, you can securely attach system to your windshield, includes a quick spell function.
Price: From $379.99
Features: 7” HD Glass Touchscreen, dual usage mode (can be used as an RV GPS as well as a car GPS), RV safety navigation features (speed limit warnings, speed camera alerts, landmark guidance, etc.), customizable RV routes, fuel prices, advanced weather alerts as well as specific point of interest loads (Good Sam RV Travel Guide, WalMart locations, RV Sani Dump Stations, etc.).
Top TomTom Devices
Price: From $159.95
Features: 6” screen, lifetime traffic and map updates, advanced lane guidance, easy to mount, includes comprehensive maps of Canada and Mexico.
We hope this information is helpful to you if you’re thinking about purchasing an RV GPS system. A trusted GPS device can help you easily navigate never-before-seen destinations safely and timely!
Thinking about purchasing a new class B RV? Classic Vans in Hayward, California is the most trusted American dealer of camper vans, conversion vans and wheelchair vans. For 30 years, we have been family-owned and operated, committed to serving every customers like they’re part of the family. Browse our inventory of new and used motorhomes for sale today.